Beautiful Walks in the Nara Countryside

Sorry for the lack of posts recently, but I think I have a pretty good excuse – my wife gave birth on Monday night. I’ve been in her hometown in Nara Prefecture, and I have to say, it’s been about the best week of my life.

I was staying at her parent’s house, and every morning I’d walk about 25 minutes to the hospital to visit my wife and new son.

gojo house 1

I can’t describe what a wonderful feeling it was to walk under the blue skies past these amazing old houses and rice fields on the way to spend the day with my wife and new baby.

gojo house 2

gojo house 3

This is the little guy I was going to see, my new son Matthew.

matthew3dayblack and white

25 replies
  1. Will
    Will says:

Congratulations,

Looks like really beautiful surroundings to bring your son into the world, I think you made the right decision to all got to Nara.

Best wishes

Will

2. Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier
    Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier says:

Nara! What an incredibly beautiful and spiritual place for your baby to be born. I congratulate you, and I feel certain your child will add to the beauty and spirit of the place even as he breaths in the air (aroma of sugar cane from the fields and tiny wafts of incense from the temples) and is held in your arms.
    I lived in Okinawa for six years and visited Kyoto and other places on the Mainland, but it was when I got to Nara that I felt, deeply, I was in Japan, in the country that I’d really come to experience. The people there were so open and so peaceful, and the deer were everywhere and unharmed.
    I know you know you’re lucky in many ways, but I just wanted to send you my endorsement of that luck and my thanks to you for the beautiful photos.
    Carlene

3. Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier
    Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier says:

Carlene

4. Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier
    Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier says:

Carlene

5. Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier
    Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier says:

I forgot to say, I don’t quite know how I got onto this blog today (I am not a blogger), but I’m glad I did. Really made me happy to see Nara and your son and read your comments. Carlene

6. Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier
    Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier says:

7. Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier
    Carlene Sobrino Bonnivier says:

8. Denise
    Denise says:

Was in Nara in 2007; your sweet Matthew looks like my grandson Taiga who was born in Takayama in 2007. Oh, how I loved my trip to Japan in 2007 – Nara, Takayama, Kamakura, Osaka, Kyoto, rural Japan. Would love to return one day to see southern parts of Japan. Congrats on your beautiful son!

9. sanji
    sanji says:

Congratulations, even if I am a little late! My family-in-law also comes from a small village in the south of the Nara prefecture. This is a place I really liked in Japan, between the plain and the mountains, where Japan as a country started to exist…

Hope you will still continue to fill your amazing blog!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Holyday in Japan 2009 – Day 3 – Nara Nara, named “the deer city” was the first capital of Japan and is located a few kilometers […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!