Odd sights in a Japanese Graveyard

These graves are all from the Ushiku Joen, the cemetery around the Ushiku Daibutsu.

grave10

grave8

As far as I know, “One Piece” is a manga about pirates and has nothing to do with volleyball. If anyone has an explanation for this, put it in the comments, please.

grave7

An English tombstone tells the world that you’re international, even in death.

grave5

The hollow section are where the ashes go.

grave4

In case you can’t see them clearly, the white sticks are ski poles.

grave1

It says: Let’s go for a walk – anytime.

grave9

grave3

grave11

I assume this is meant to be an inspirational quote rather than a cynical view of inheritances.

19 replies
  1. Tornadoes28
    Tornadoes28 says:

I am not sure what the “One Piece” meaning is either but I believe that is a volleyball, not a basketball.

Those plots are very interesting. I assume the one with the toy cars is for a child which is sad.

2. Steven Harris
    Steven Harris says:

These are a lot more personalized than people are usually allowed in British cemetaries. Perhaps the Church of England should take note and join the 21st century. They might even find they’re congregations increase if they recognise their flock are not stuck in the Victorian era like the church itself can be.

3. Steven Harris
    Steven Harris says:

4. Steven Harris
    Steven Harris says:

5. Cat
    Cat says:

I think they are very engaging. I frequently roam through cemetaries in Southwestern Ontario, reading the tombstones and admiring the ornate stone carvings. Some of these locations along the Great Lakes date from the War of 1812 between Canada and the US.
    Your photography was very good too.
    What are the cups and mugs for?

6. satansez
    satansez says:

Born in New Orleans, one has an affinity with the dead. I personally love walking around in cemeteries. I like looking at the tombstones, reading each name and wondering what their lives were like.

It is nice to see that these people have been honored by what they loved in life.

7. Merlin
    Merlin says:

The gravestone with Shalom on it is perhaps not so bizarre. Before and during World War Two, a significant number of Jewish people were able to escape Nazi persecution (when most other countries denied them access,) by gaining vizas to reside initially in Manchuria and also, later, in Japan. A Jewish colony in Japan persisted for some time after the war and descendants may indeed still be there. Information on this may be found in a book called The Fugu Plan by Marvin Tokayer and Mary Swartz, or on Wikipedia,

8. psychologist1
    psychologist1 says:

looks beautiful – even too beautiful for graves. and i am sure it is too expensive. you know, if my relatives make such a thing for me, i will “live” in better conditions after my death than i live now.

9. Phil
    Phil says:

Wonderful stuff! Thanks. I visited several cemeteries when I visited Japan – they are amazing. I wonder about the “message sticks” behind the monuments. What are these?

I know that death in Japan can be an expensive affair but so much polished and carved stone must be tremendously dear. What does a grave of the sort pictured here cost?

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!